Last Updated on May 30, 2023 by Rose Morah
* This post may contain affiliate links. Please see our disclosure to learn more.
In case you are wondering what’s the best and safest way to clean a Tesla, we are going to discuss the following:
- Products to use when cleaning your Tesla
- Tesla cleaning tips
- Best products and brands to use when cleaning your Tesla
Most people end up scratching their vehicles as a result of bad cleaning techniques.
Fortunately, there are ways to prevent scratches on the Tesla paint while washing it.
What’s the safest way to clean a Tesla?
Handwashing is the safest way to clean the Tesla when done using proper techniques and materials.
Best products to use when cleaning your Tesla
- Car soap
- Wheel cleaner
- All-purpose cleaner for the tires
- Microfiber wash mitt
- Tire shine
- Lug brush
- Wheel brush
- Tire brush
- Snub nose foam cannon/gun – makes your soap super foamy, thus great for distributing soap over the car.
- Iron fault remover – removes the iron out of the vehicle’s paint.
- Microfiber towels – dries the car after cleaning.
- Grit guards – Put them under the bucket, so that the debris can go below it and not to your scrub.
This will prevent you from scrubbing the dirt over your paint.
Put the Tesla in carwash mode
On your touch screen, go to service and tap on car wash mode.
Once you have enabled the Tesla carwash mode, it will automatically close the charge port, and all the windows, and disables the sentry mode and windshield for you to safely clean the car.
Tips for washing your Tesla’s exterior
- Don’t clean the car in direct sunlight because you will end up getting water spots all over the Tesla.
If you live in highly humid areas such as California, Arizona, Florida, etc. I would recommend spraying some mist or elixir on the air just around the car when the car is still wet.
This will allow the car to perfectly dry without getting water spots all over.
- Always start with the wheels when washing your car. However, if you are coming from a road trip with your Tesla then wash the wheels last.
- Wash the back of the Tesla last because it is usually the dirtiest.
- Wash the car from top to bottom.
- If you have carbon ceramics, you should not use a wheel cleaner because it will damage them. Instead, use car soap.
- Try not to scrub the car, just let the product do what they are meant to do. This is because you may end up getting scratches on your car as a result.
- Use the all-purpose cleaner to clean the bugs and the mud on the side of the car.
- Use a microfiber wash mitt to clean the car and avoid using cotton towels because they might put some scratches on your car.
See also: Best and Must Have Tesla Accessories.
Tips for washing your Tesla interior
- Use an all-purpose cleaner to clean the interior plastic parts, leather, and seats.
- Use compressed air after wiping the interior. This will make the interior look great.
See also: How Much Does A Tesla Maintenance Cost?