Last Updated on May 30, 2023 by Rose Morah
If you have just purchased a VW ID.4 or plan to purchase one, having a few tricks up your sleeve can help make your journey of owning this car a bit easier.
In this article, you will discover some VW ID.4 hidden features that will save you in case of emergencies.
Related: Pros and Cons of Volkswagen ID.4 Pro.
- Volkswagen ID.4 Tips and Tricks
- 1. Emergency tips when you are unable to get in the VW ID.4
- 2. How to close the car windows when outside the car
- 3. How to control all the car windows all at once
- 4. How to unlock the charger without having to do it on the infotainment screen
- 5. Emergency release for the VW ID.4 charge port
- 6. How to set up a charging profile on your VW ID.4
- 7. How to ensure you are getting fast and consistent charge speeds at public chargers
- 8. What to do when the infotainment screen is acting weird
- 9. The best place to get accurate battery information/status of your VW ID.4
Volkswagen ID.4 Tips and Tricks
1. Emergency tips when you are unable to get in the VW ID.4
If the VW ID.4 has a 0% charge (it is dead), the 12-volt battery is also dead and you can also not get in the car, you can follow the following steps if you have your key fob with you.
- Press the button on the side of the key fob as shown in the image below, to pull out a key from it.
- If you check down on the door handle, you will be able to see a small slot that will fit that key (see the image below).
- Slide in the key to remove the top cover of the door handle as seen in the image below.
- Use the same key that you got from the key fob to unlock the car.
You may also like:
2. How to close the car windows when outside the car
If you want to close all your windows when you are outside the car without having to go inside, press and hold the lock sensor on your passenger or driver’s door to close them.
3. How to control all the car windows all at once
If you want to control all the car windows all at once on the VW ID 4, just long-press the rear window button down until it starts to blink. You will then be able to control all four windows at once.
4. How to unlock the charger without having to do it on the infotainment screen
If you do not feel like going in the car to stop the charging from the infotainment screen, you can press the unlock button twice on the key fob to stop the charging.
This also helps when you are charging at public chargers, and the cord gets stuck because of a communication error between the car and the charger.
5. Emergency release for the VW ID.4 charge port
The emergency release helps you unlock the VW ID.4 charger if you are unable to do it on the infotainment screen and don’t have the key fob with you.
Steps to follow to unlock the charger through the emergency release:
- Go to the cargo area/trunk. In the cargo area, on the side where the charging port is located, you will see a small plastic that can be turned to open (see the image below). Open it.
- Once you’ve managed to open it, you will see something that looks like a handle (as seen in the image below) that is used as an emergency release for the vehicle’s charge port.
- Pull the handle to unlock and release the charger.
You may also like:
6. How to set up a charging profile on your VW ID.4
To set your preferred charging times when you are charging your VW ID 4 at home or at work, follow the following steps:
- On the ID 4’s infotainment screen, tap the vehicle icon.
- Select “Location”.
- Add the charging location and save.
- Click on the saved location. The charging setting will appear.
- Scroll down to “preferred times” and add your preferred charging time to your set location.
7. How to ensure you are getting fast and consistent charge speeds at public chargers
To make sure you are getting fast and consistent charging speeds when you are charging at Electrify America public chargers, follow the following steps:
- First, know what charger you are at by looking at the Electrify America charger ID. (It is usually located at the top).
- Go to the Electrify America app and check if the charger is on the app, based on your location.
- Select the charging location and look for the charger that you are currently at (use the charger ID to identify it).
- Select that charger and scroll down to where it says “Swipe to Start Charge”.
- It will start initiating charging.
- Check if the screen of the public charger says “please plug in”. Just plug in and you will have no issues when charging.
You may also like Nissan Leaf BMS Update (And Common FAQs).
8. What to do when the infotainment screen is acting weird
If you are experiencing bugs or weird things on your screen including on the audio, resetting the infotainment screen will, most of the time, help solve the problem.
The following are the steps to follow:
- Press the power button for about 10 seconds without releasing it.
- The VW ID.4’s infotainment screen will eventually turn black as it shut off completely.
- After a few minutes, the screen will start rebooting.
See also: 5 Important Toyota Hybrid Tips and Tricks.
9. The best place to get accurate battery information/status of your VW ID.4
To get detailed information about your ID.4, including its battery pack, be sure to use the obd2 adapter and free EVNotify for Android, and Car Scanner ELM OBD2 for iOS.
The apps will show you the following information:
- Battery voltage.
- The temperature of the battery pack.
- Motor RPM.
- Cell voltage, and much more.