Last Updated on May 30, 2023 by Rose Morah
If you are looking to find free EV charging stations, this is what we are going to be discussing in this article:
- The best places to find free EV charging.
- How to find free EV charging stations in the US.
- How to find free EV charging stations in the UK.
- How to find free EV charging stations in other European countries.
But first, is it possible to find free public EV charging stations?
However, this will also depend on your location because some locations tend to have more free public charging stations than others.
For instance, in some locations and states, businesses have been offered grants to install free Level 2 and 3 public chargers.
A good example is where I come from, Colorado.
However, when you want to use the free chargers available in different locations, it is important to know how to easily find them.
Some of the free chargers usually have some restrictions such as:
a). Customers only.
b). Guests only.
c). Employees only.
d). Tesla drivers only.
e). Residents only and so much more.
Related: Types of EV Charging and EV Plugs.
The best places to find free EV charging
Some of the most common places that usually have free EV charging include:
- Cafes, restaurants, pubs, and hotels.
- Museums and theatres.
- Leisure centers- garden centers, zoos.
- Workplace car parks.
How to find free EV charging stations in the US
The best places to find free EV charging online are Plugshare and ChargePoint.
These two apps offer the simplest way to find free EV charging in the US.
To find free EV charging on Plugshare, you simply need to:
- Go to www.plugshare.com or download the app.
- Map your route on the trip planner, or just search for a charging location.
- On the settings, untick “Show Locations That Require Payment”.
It will display the available free chargers on the map, as seen in the image below.
What if you can’t find free EV charging stations on Plugshare?
Make sure that the following are set as follows:
- Minimum kilowatts: Zero (0)
- In Use stations: ON
- Public stations: ON
- Requires fee: OFF
- Outlet filters: All On
How to find free EV charging stations in the UK
I’d recommend using Zap-Map to find free public chargers in the UK.
Finding free public chargers on Zap-Map is quite easy.
With the following steps, you are able to find free charging stations:
- Go to www.zap-map.com/live/
- On the homepage, tap/click “Filter” as seen in the image below.
- Scroll down to “Payments”.
- Click “Free to use”.
- Click apply.
How to find free EV charging stations in other European countries
ChargePoint is recommended for finding free public charging stations in Europe.
NOTE: ChargePoint can go from free to pay in just one day. So, don’t be surprised when the next day you find that you have to pay even if you had previously used it for free.